Saturday, December 15, 2012

Are we there yet?

night temperature: Kirov -26 C, -14 F

I just want to get to the train. It's a short ride, but L is catatonic. There is nothing that would have prepared me for the rush of feelings that flooded my mind when I realized she was catatonic. She is completely unresponsive. I watch her stare straight ahead w/ no expression as the car drives into the night. We try to catch her eyes. I rub her back. She doesn't answer our translator. I try to see her face behind the snow jacket's hood. She isn't moving at all, just staring. A million fears race through my head about what this might mean. I have my panic moment- "WHAT HAVE WE DONE?" As fast as the fear fell upon me, it is gone again. I remember our training classes. This is hard stuff, certainly overwhelming for an 8 year old! We were told that most orphans are not used to riding in cars. They spend their days, day in & day out, at the orphanage. They eat, bathe, go to school, see the doctor & grow up at the orphanage. There is little reason to leave the grounds. This orphanage is out in the country, in a village. You don't see a lot of cars here. Most people walk regardless of the weather. I realize that the only other time she may have ridden in a car is when she arrived here. What is she thinking? I wish I knew. I may never know her full story, but hopefully, together we can deal w/ it.

We arrive at the train station & wait in the car since it is so cold. Five minutes prior to departure, we exit the car. L is beginning to come out of her funk. As we unload the luggage, I hand L & O the backpacks I packed for them. They are beyond thrilled! We head to the platform to wait for the train. It is cold & dark. Luckily, the train arrives within minutes. We quickly realize that our car is the first one that pasted us as the train approached the platform. Next thing I know, we are running towards the front. Our driver is in first after he grabbed our large luggage, Corbin in second w/ another bag & O in his arms, our translator in third & I am in last place practically dragging L, who is now weighed down by her new backpack. This train is only momentarily stopping & apparently they will wait for no one, even if they see you running!

We make it to the right car, flash all of our paper bling & jump on board. I turn back to see our translator & driver who have helped us navigate the way to where we stand at this very moment. I have only a second, so I say thank you, thank you, blow a kiss & then usher the kids to our cabin. I leave poor Corbin to kick & drag all our luggage behind me. As he pulls the last bag into our cabin, we slide the door closed. We did it! We are here! We have the kids! I rearrange the bags & find my missing glove! Yay! I remember to text Corbin's parents who are waiting to hear from us..."on train, have kids, will arrive in Moscow in the am :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment