Monday, August 20, 2012

A bumpy ride


A bumpy ride is actually a huge understatement. The roads in Moscow were in good condition. It was what I expected of any modern city. We were not prepared for the village roads. These roads through the countryside were an adventure! It's basically a two lane road, one lane for each direction, for our entire journey. Yes, there were bumps. There were potholes. There were areas in need to repair & areas being repaired. Then there is the rest of the road. I'm not exactly sure what the right terms are to describe it.

Imagine you are driving down a dirt road at 40 mph, in a truck. Now our roads were all paved mind you, they just feel like they are not. We drive over bumps & around potholes while passing cars, trucks, tractors, people walking, meandering dogs & a few stray chickens. Sort of a nice ride through the country. I enjoy a few hayrides in the fall. This reminds of that, but those usually last maybe 10 minutes or so. What if someone said "hey, let's go on a hayride for 5 hours!" Well, you're getting the idea now. The ride was so bumpy that I could not use my IPad. I'm sure I will see some very interesting photos when I get home. It's difficult to take pics out the window of a moving car when you can't keep a hold on your camera! There was no way I could have read. Make a note for next visit- no reason to carry 4 books for a week's trip when you'll never get through the first one.

So, add 2 adults chatting it up in Russian & some loud Russian/English music &there you have our car ride. It was quite an adventure! At times, I literally launched out of my seat & only stopped short of hitting my head on the roof by the seatbelt. I found the situation rather comical, but you look very foolish when you're the only one laughing. Taking all of this into account, it's amazing that both Corbin & I fell asleep at different points during the drive. Where there's a will, there's a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment