Saturday, August 18, 2012

Patience Now


Our last flight from London to Moscow is abroad Transaero Airlines, a Russian airline.  It's our first taste of interacting with people from Russia, many whom do not speak English. We are spoiled in the US. Most people visiting the US speak some English & when we travel many places have some English speakers. It's quite humbling to be surrounded be people all speaking another language. Most of the time, Americans just don't have to deal with fumbling with foreign words & settling with lots of smiling. Patience is required.

My first awkward encounter comes fast. I'm surprised at just how surprised I am by it! Time to order drinks. I've been on many planes. I know how this goes. Without thinking twice, I ask for water in English. There is silence. She replies in Russian. Ummmm, let's repeat slower & louder. Really? What am I thinking? Why do I think that works? Silence again. Smile? Panic sets in. I look at the cart & point to the first thing that looks familiar, Sprite. She says something in Russian, I nod yes & immediately think NO. What am I doing? I don't want Sprite! I want water! Why did I point to Sprite...which ironically is right next to the water! Well, it's poured. I drink it. I realize I seriously have to learn a little Russian.

1 comment: