Friday, August 17, 2012

To Russia w/ love


This is it. This is the day I've been waiting for! I am finally on board an airplane en route to see my two new children. It's hard to comprehend this is real. This is really happening. 

Yesterday was a busy, emotional day. Besides packing, I stopped at Costco to stock up on some food before leaving for Russia. I noticed some kid's clothing & decided to purchase a few items for my two new kids. I know this sounds like an uneventful task that moms do on a semi-regular basis, but this was the first time I have gotten to buy clothes for MY kids. Up until now, all the clothes I had saved for them was just that, for THEM. An unknown child. A child without a face. A little person who was yet to be seen by me. Now, I held up the outfit with navy & white stripes & a car on the front. I could see him. I could see his little smiling face wearing this outfit. And I knew if I stood there too long staring, the tears would come.

Another moment hit me at Wal-Mart. I saw a toddler board book "My First 100 Words." I picked it up thinking that it would be useful. I imagined myself sitting on the plane, with two new kids, going through the book, pointing & speaking the English words. That's when it hit me. I get to teach them English! I may not have been there where they spoke their first word, but I will be there when they speak their first English word! Of course, it's a strange moment when an employee bumps into you, your eyes filled with tears, while holding a silly book. I wish I would have gotten that adoption t-shirt that says "adoption in progress- may cry at any time!"

Now I sit, waiting for this plane to land. I already miss my first three kids. I can't wait to meet my two new kids. I'm dreaming of the days ahead when all of my children sit together, in the same country, in the same house. What a day it will be, but it can't happen soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment